Sunday, October 24, 2010

Empty Feeder Syndrome

My last hummingbird for the season left on October 4, 2010.  I've been suffering from empty feeder syndrome since.  Every time I pass our back door, I quickly scan the backyard in hopes of seeing another one.

Yesterday as I scanned, I didn't see a hummingbird, but one of our resident bluebirds (Constance) sitting on the fence!  We rarely see our bluebirds after nesting season, so this was a nice surprise.  The male (Bubba) then swooped in and perched on the bluebird house and had a look inside.  I've heard of bluebirds wintering in nest boxes, but our pair never has.  I would love to experience these beautiful birds during winter!

This morning, Bubba was on the fence again, but quickly flew away.  He was replaced with our resident harassing Mockingbird (Marvin).  If the bluebirds were considering wintering in our backyard, then I'm afraid Marvin might have discouraged them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment