Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hummingbirds101: What I Learned This Summer, Part 3


In early September, the hummingbirds visiting my feeders became noticeably more aggressive.  A "feeding frenzy" comes to mind to describe their activity.

One unusual behavior I observed was "piggybacking," where one bird would stand on another's back to feed out of the same "bloom," even where empty perches were available.  This appeared to me to be a type of dominance behavior.





By this point, many of the hummingbirds were carrying extra fat needed to migrate to South America for the winter.


I also observed more diligent guarding of the feeder.  Hummingbirds are notoriously territorial and will often claim a feeder and chase away any other birds were dared to come near.  For several days, one of the hummingbirds sat on a shepherd's hook and guarded the feeder hanging below.

No comments:

Post a Comment