Sunday, September 5, 2010

In the Midst of the Fray

The hummingbirds were particularly aggressive yesterday evening!  I was perched in my usual chair with my camera aimed at one of the feeders, which was about five feet away from me.  It wasn't long before fifteen hummingbirds were buzzing around me and chasing one another through the backyard.  They were moving so fast, getting a clear shot was difficult, which was frustrating.  Occasionally, they would make peace for a second or two and all enjoy a refreshment from the feeder, but it wasn't long before the chase was on again.  Loud "smacks" occurred as they sparred.  I can't tell what they are doing to make that noise (surely, they aren't slapping each other with their feet, but thats what it sounds like!). 

I instinctively flinched a few times when I thought I was going to be hit in the fray.  They aren't afraid of me, and in fact, sometimes come very close to me to get a better look.  Yesterday, one bird hovered a few inches from my left ear. 

The birds are getting quite plump at this point, readying for their migration south for the winter. 
"Plumpy"

At least one adult male is still around.





No comments:

Post a Comment